Some Sample Interview Questions For Project Manager Position
Project management requires the knowledge & expertise of the project team members involving the project manager, use of tools and techniques accessible to make sure that the assigned tasks are accomplished in a perfect manner. Right accomplishment is based on obtaining the end results inside specified cost and time constraints. It generally refers to adjusting the limitations of scope, budget, schedule, quality, risks and resources.
To get it all done, you have to take proper decisions for appointing a project manager. The project managers can connect management, clients and employees to keep project go ahead successfully.
While appointing a project manager, you have to give emphasis on some key aspects like Will he/she be able to accommodate in the culture of the organization? Will he/she be able to manage other team members and guide them efficiently? Will he/she be able to deliver on the project goals and on stipulated timeframe?
There are lots of uncertainties. So, the questions should be asked properly in a job interview for the project managers to assess their technical skills, business practice, interpersonal skills and behavior.
1. How do you handle non-productive team members?
2. How do you motivate team members who are burned out, or bored?
3. How do you handle team members who come to you with their personal problems?
4. What are your career goals? How do you see this job affecting your goals?
5. Explain how you operate interdepartmentally.
6. Tell me how you would react to a situation where there was more than one way to accomplish the same task, and there were very strong feelings by others on each position.
7. Consider that you are in a diverse environment, out of your comfort zone. How would you rate your situational leadership style?
8. Give me an example of your leadership involvement where teamwork played an important role.
9. Tell me about a situation where your loyalty was challenged. What did you do? Why?
10. In what types of situations is it best to abandon loyalty to your manager?
11. In today’s business environment, when is loyalty to your manager particularly important?
12. Why are you interested in this position?
13. Describe what you think it would be like to do this job every day.
14. What do you believe qualifies you for this position?
15. What have you learned from your failures?
16. Of your previous jobs, which one did you enjoy the most? What did you like the most/least? Why? What was your major accomplishment? What was your biggest frustration?
17. Tell me about special projects or training you have had that would be relevant to this job.
18. What are some things that you would not like your job to include?
19. What are your current work plans? Why are you thinking about leaving your present job?
20. Describe an ideal job for you.
21. What would you do if you found out that a contractor was in a conflict of interest situation?
22. If I were to contact your former employee, what would he say about your decision-making abilities?
23. Give me an example of a win-win situation you have negotiated.
24. Tell me about your verbal and written communication ability. How well do you represent yourself to others? What makes you think so?
25. Give me an example of a stressful situation you have been in. How well did you handle it? If you had to do it over again, would you do it differently? How do you deal with stress, pressure, and unreasonable demands?