Foundation Failures and how to repair them
Foundation failure can lead to collapsing of the building. A foundation is the first stage from where the building is constructed. But when a foundation is collapsed, it can make lots of damages in the building along with failing or collapsing of the building. It is very complicated and expensive to repair the damages in foundations. So, there should be sufficient knowledge on the types of foundation failure to get rid of them by undertaking essential steps prior to commencement of construction.
Given below the three major functions of a building foundation:
1. To retain and disperse the loads from building / structure securely to the ground in an efficient manner so that it can’t damage the strength or results in damaging to the building or adjacent buildings
2. The construction of foundations should protect the building toward the damage owing to physical forces produced in the subsoil.
3. Foundations must withstand the chemical compounds existent in soil to avoid corrosion to reinforcement.
The soil properties can significantly affect the design, stability and sustainability of foundations to maintain the functionality.
Foundation failure because of Soil Movement:
When existing water among soil particles is removed, the soil keeps moving nearer simultaneously. If the water is engrossed by soil, the soil begins swelling. This movement of soil is influenced by the type of soil. Large movement is possible with clayey soils except for sandy soils. These types of soil movements occur because of modification in water content which influence the foundation settlement. Foundation keeps to be settled and unnecessary settlement of foundation may cause discrepancy in settlement and damage to the structure.
Soil movement happens because of the following factors:
1. Existence of vegetation or remains of old cut tress
2. Existence of mining areas
3. Shrinkable soils
To read the complete article, go through the following link