HOW TO EXAMINE QUALITY OF SAND IN THE JOBSITE
The quality of sand that is used in the construction site, should be examined properly through some recognized tests. In order to ascertain the properties of sand, the following tests are done.
FIELD TEST OF SAND:
1. Take a glass and fill it with some water.
2. Put a small amount of sand in the glass. At that point, stir it vigorously and allow it to be set. A transparent layer is created at the top level of sand, if any clay exists in the sand.
3. Amalgamate the sand into sodium hydroxide or caustic soda solution to separate the existence of organic impurities. The color of the solution will be changed to brown with the presence of organic impurities in the sand.
4. Now take a pinch of sand and after examine it properly, if it’s taste becomes salty, it signifies that that the salt exists in the sand.
5. Now, take a small amount of sand in your hand, and then scrub it with the fingers. If the colors of the fingers are changed, it signifies that the sand contains some unrefined or coarse materials.
6. The color of sand defines the clarity of sand. Both the size and sharpness can be verified by touching and viewing visually.
7. In order to check the quality, strength, void ratio etc. of sand, verify it through proper mechanical analysis.
Article Source : www.dailycivil.com